The World Cup is coming to a close and while U2R1 Media has been all about game time, we’re just as excited about what’s been happening in between plays. The World Cup has pushed brands to bring out their best when it comes to commercials and we’ve rounded up our favorites for you to check out!
- Beats by Dre – The Game Before The Game (R/GA)
- This may be the longest ad we sat through, but it’s definitely worth the wait. While this ad could be accused of taking headphones a tad too seriously, it brings together the anticipation that athletes, fans and the media alike share for each game.
- ESPN – One Time Zone (Wieden+Kennedy)
- ESPN really gets it. They know that no matter what, when game time rolls around you have to be there. Watch the world make it happen.
- McDonald’s – GOL! (DDB)
- This is our favorite World Cup commercial that McDonald’s has brought out. Or our favorite McD’s commercial period. Mainly because it has nothing to do with McDonald’s. This fantastic ad that has already gone viral is all about ordinary people performing extraordinary soccer tricks. We’re lovin it.
- Kia – Adriana Lima (David & Goliath)
- We love watching Adriana Lima and Kia cheekily clue these guys in that American football isn’t the only sport out there. This month, it’s about what the rest of the world calls fútbol! But really, we’d watch almost anything that has Adriana Lima in it. In fact, you should probably watch all of the World Cup Kia ads Adriana stars in.
- Hyundai – Because Fútbol – “Boom” (Innocean)
- For a car commercial, this ad shows very little of cars. Which we’re all about. Instead, this ad made us laugh out loud as it foretold a sudden baby boom in Spain, nine months after the World Cup. Why? Because Fútbol! Also be sure to check out their other “Because Fútbol” ad “Avoidance”.
- Nike – Winner Stays (Wieden+Kennedy)
- For every kid that every dreamed of being a soccer star, this is his or her dream come true. Seeing these ordinary kids transform into soccer juggernauts is truly entertaining. It made us laugh and gave us goose bumps!
Overall, what makes these ads winners in the eyes of consumers aka soccer fans is that they give their product second billing. First and foremost, these ads are all about a love for the game that brings people, nations and the world together. Sound off below with any other World Cup ads you’ve actually enjoyed watching at half time this year.
Author: Katherine Pearce